This blog does not, nor will it ever represent the views of the United States or Chinese government or the Peace Corps.. Because that's how I do what I do.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Come on Asia, represent!

Warning: This post is a shameless plug for the Snapshots of Service project.

That being said, a fellow invitee, Kim (Ukraine) has put together a brilliant project, which helps celebrate the Peace Corps 50th birthday, Snapshots of Service. Essentially, it's a journal in which volunteers fill in, with pictures, stories, whatever tickles their fancy. This journal will include 50 volunteers from 50 different countries. There are talks of it being published and becoming available to past, present and future volunteers. For more information, check out the site: http://pcsnapshotsofservice.blogspot.com/

Now- this journal already has 29 volunteers at my last count. Of which, two of us (the other being Ashley W, Mongolia) represent Asia. Yes, Asia only makes up 8% of volunteers, but come on, 2 out of possibly 50? yes, technically 8% of 50 is 4 people. So, fellow Asia invitees, we just need two of you to step up!  Now I know for a fact that a program for a certain country (I'm looking at you Indonesia) has already started to fill up with invitees. And Thailand, well, you guys already took off and are in training, so you have an excuse...for now.

So, if you feel like contributing to a cause that not only celebrates 50 years of a great organization but offers a fun, creative perspective for future PCVs, contact Kim at:
k i m b e r l e y r o s e p h o t o @ g m a i l . c o m
Remember to remove the spaces, I'm just working to keep away old Sir Spamalot. 

12 comments:

  1. yeahhhhhh Asia! Once March/April come we should start getting more. Philippines and Cambodia are next quarter. So we have potential!

    Also: where are the boys??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's hoping, otherwise us central Asians will just have to represent on our own.
    And I know! Really only 3?! And I would argue two and a half, as Costa Rica is the married couple. Very disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Kazakhstan, so Central Asia rep is up. And Armenia, but the Caucasus can't ever decide if they want to be Europe or Asia, so they don't *really* count.

    Totally 2.5! He wouldn't be part of it if his wife didn't volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. True,yay Kazakhstan, and pft Armenia, it's so European :P
    So how to recruit the boys?

    ReplyDelete
  5. now now! Indonesia has a rep! Don't forget me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whooooop! Btw very jealous, enjoy the sun and surf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan, do you mind if I just copy and paste the first and last paragraphs of this entry into my blog too? I'll cite you of course and put it in little quotation marks. But Kim's project sounds super awesome and I think you summed it up really wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Melissa, go right ahead, it's a great project! And thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know if the China departure date has changed? I heard an Asia program departure date had changed to July 1 but am unsure which one it is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chris, I haven't heard from the PC office, so I am going to say it's not China, but who knows! If I hear anything to the contrary I will be sure to put it up! Are you nominated for Asia?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Guessing it is the Philippines then, but who really knows with the PC. Yes, my wife and I are nominated for Asia. Originally for August, but I think we are heading out in early July now. Exciting to see all these Asia invitees/nominees!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very true but if it is the philippines, that's awesome! It is, unfortunately PC Asia is often overlooked by volunteers :( Good luck for both you and your wife!

    ReplyDelete